(#1)
Old

How to burn a CD to an SD card? - 02-01-2009, 03:04 PM

My new tuning computer doesn't have a CD\DVD drive but has several slots for SD cards including one that allows extending the on board HD storage capacity.
Can anyone walk me through the steps to burn the contents of a technical service manual from a CD (that I am able to copy from one CD to another with no problem) onto an SD memory card. The CD I am trying to copy is the electronic version of the Ford service manual for my Mustang\Cobra. During installation on a PC or Laptop the program is installed but is configured to search the data base stored on the CD ROM.
As I see it there are two problems to overcome:

1. Coping the entire contents of the CD onto the SD card including any hidden files.

2. Reconfiguring the program to search the SD card for the data base and not look for a CD drive.

Help please for the electronically challenged.

98 SVT Cobra Convertible - Laser Red/Saddle-Black Interior/Saddle top
TWEECER-RT,Netbook PC, Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer for DIY tuning. Vortech S-Trim w/AC @ 10.5 PSI, 60# injectors, TKO 5 speed, MM Torque Arm rear suspension. Lord willing, I'll finish what I started 15 years ago.

Other Cars I've owned:
SOLD - 1984 Mustang GT, 5.0, M5, Medium Canyon Red Glow, Charcoal interior & T-tops.
GONE - 1972 Chevelle w/402 CI BB and turbo 400 trans.
SOLD - 1966 Plymouth Belvedere w/383, 4 speed and Sure Grip diff.

Member of: www.EECTuning.org

Last edited by GACobra; 02-01-2009 at 04:15 PM..
(#2)
Old
XTreme Techie

02-02-2009, 12:51 AM

Hey GA, try copying the CD contents to your SD drive. If not protected, this should work.

Using My Computer (windows explorer) on a PC that has a CD Rom drive, double click on the drive that contains your CD. Once the contents of the CD are displayed, select "edit" on the menu bar, then choose "select all" (key step - select all). Now go back to the "edit" drop down and select "copy". Open your SD card in another windows explorer session (My Computer), and then choose "edit" from the menu bar and select "paste". That should do it.

Pop the SD card into your laptop, install the service manual and it should recognize the original install drive (i.e. your SD card) as the source the next time you access your service manual. If not, let me know and we can probably adjust your registry so that it looks to the SD card as the source.
(#3)
Old
XTreme Techie

02-02-2009, 01:06 AM

Related to the registry comment, I also meant to say you can use the "manage" feature of My Computer to re-assign drive letters for the SD card. More on that later. Let me know how the copy and paste works.
(#4)
Old

02-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Hey thanks Coop I'll give that a try. The problem is most likely in the registry.

TWEECER-RT,Netbook PC, Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer for DIY tuning. Vortech S-Trim w/AC @ 10.5 PSI, 60# injectors, TKO 5 speed, MM Torque Arm rear suspension. Lord willing, I'll finish what I started 15 years ago.

Other Cars I've owned:
SOLD - 1984 Mustang GT, 5.0, M5, Medium Canyon Red Glow, Charcoal interior & T-tops.

(#5)
Old

03-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Ok I have all the files from the CD copied onto the SD card and everything works exactly like I was using the CD for program installation and setup.

But with the Ford Service Manual program installed on my Tuning LT and opened, it is still looking for files on a CD ROM drive rather than searching the SD drive. For example if I wanted to look for instructions on how to remove the interior door panels the program always defaults to the CD/ROM rather than the SD drive. So where I need help is figuring out how to instruct the program to search the SD drive instead of a CD/ROM.
Sooo Calling Professor Whoppy, calling Professor Whoppy... are you out there Professor Whoppy? Help please for the electronically challenged.

Other Cars I've owned:

Last edited by GACobra; 03-08-2009 at 10:30 AM..
(#6)
Old
PC Geek/Board Member

03-08-2009, 02:45 PM

Did you do the install from the SD? Just wondering. During the install it should have written the appropriate values to the registry for Source.

All else fails bring it next Sat and we can look at it. I dont know Coops level of experience with the registry, but I am sure we can figure it out.

Joe Cool
2013 Focus ST
2003 Yamaha Warior