(#1)
Old

Clutch??? - 09-19-2011, 09:59 AM

I have a '96 Mustang Cobra.

I put a new clutch in about 15k miles ago.

Recently I have been having a problem. I am not sure if it is the clutch, though I suspect it is, or something else.

When I leave from a stop everything works fine. Whether I leave in an aggressive manner or simply take off. However, if I am driving down the highway at the limit, such as 65mph, and press on the go peddle the RPMs go up without an increase in speed.

It would seem to me that I would have slippage at launch. It would seem to me that this is when the clutch would show it's wear. But launch is great.

5th gear, 60 or 65 mph, slippage.

Is this the clutch? Or, something else?

What do you folks think? And, thanks for the input.
(#2)
Old
"Sir Crazy"

09-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Definitely sounds like clutch slippage to me. Could be worn pressure plate or clutch disk. Generally more noticeable in 5th or 4th gear due to heavier load on transmission. As it gets worse will show up more in lower gears as well. My $.02

Sounds kinda odd if you put in a new clutch 15K miles ago. Could be something keeping pressure plate from fulling engaging clutch disk maybe.

Craig

'98 chrome yellow Cobra coupe
'93 canary yellow Mustang LX 5.0L convertible feature car
'12 competition orange Boss 302
'08 lightning red Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium - daily driver
'02 Honda Shadow ACE
'11 graphite Subaru Outback 3.6R premium
'08 Yamaha V Star Classic

Gone, but not forgotten...
'96 mystic Cobra - sold
'98 Mazda B2500 SE - RIP
'04 chili pepper red Saturn Vue - sold
'92 vibrant red Mustang LX 5.0L convertible feature car - sold
'90 strawberry metallic Mustang GT - sold

MUSTANGS NEVER DIE... THEY JUST GET FASTER!!!
(#3)
Old
Powered by Visa

10-01-2011, 02:04 PM

Craig is correct concerning load. You can think of it as the car being lighter in the lower gears and progressively getting heaver as you upshift. At least that's one way to illustrate the situation as it 'appears' to the clutch. As for the mileage, it does seem awefully low to begin to slip but so many things can lead to that including what craig mentioned. If its determined that you need a new clutch, i've had wonderful results from my spec stage 2 with a turbo. I also had good results with, its been so long now i may have the name wrong, the ford racing king cobra clutch when i had an S-trim some years ago. There are many good choices though. Good luck

98' Cobra - 11.5@132
MP T70, SHM blower cams, heavily ported heads, runnerless dividerless intake without imrc's, mac longtubes, PLX-300 wideband, tweecer, kb bas, other stuff.
Daily driver without a backup.
(#4)
Old

10-04-2011, 07:39 AM

Sounds like the clutch may just need adjusting. 15,000 miles would put enough wear on it to need adjusting. I have never messed with a 96, but if they have the same setup as the New Edge cars, the clutch cable may also need to be replaced. It is just around a $100.00 part and pretty quick to install. Older cables with 60,000 miles will stretch and a brand new clutch may slip if the cable is not also replaced.
(#5)
Old
EL Presidente...

10-04-2011, 01:59 PM

On the 96-98 Cobras the clutch pedal will adjust the clutch, simply pull back on the pedal with your foot til it clicks and then press all the way to the floor. Do this about 3 to 5 times and this should get it back to normal. If this does not work then a new clutch is in order.
(#6)
Old
"Sir Crazy"

10-05-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 Terminator View Post
Older cables with 60,000 miles will stretch and a brand new clutch may slip if the cable is not also replaced.
My understanding is that main causes of clutch slippage are worn out clutch disk or pressure plate, something causing pressure plate to not fully engage clutch disk, or rear main leaking. Cable is only used to disengage clutch, so I would think a stretched cable would keep clutch from fully disengaging when pedal is pressed, making it hard to get in or out of gears.

Craig

'98 chrome yellow Cobra coupe
'93 canary yellow Mustang LX 5.0L convertible feature car
'12 competition orange Boss 302
'08 lightning red Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium - daily driver
'02 Honda Shadow ACE
'11 graphite Subaru Outback 3.6R premium
'08 Yamaha V Star Classic

Gone, but not forgotten...
'96 mystic Cobra - sold
'98 Mazda B2500 SE - RIP
'04 chili pepper red Saturn Vue - sold
'92 vibrant red Mustang LX 5.0L convertible feature car - sold
'90 strawberry metallic Mustang GT - sold

MUSTANGS NEVER DIE... THEY JUST GET FASTER!!!